January 2018

SportsTurf provides current, practical and technical content on issues relevant to sports turf managers, including facilities managers. Most readers are athletic field managers from the professional level through parks and recreation, universities.

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 21 of 59

www.spor 22 // January 2018 Whether you are fl ying your personal drone or an employer-owned drone, you should have liability insurance coverage. The drone insurance market is changing daily. Generally, public entities will need to add a rider to their general liability policies, which can cost from several hundred to several thousand dollars per year. With proper pilot training, regular drone safety inspections and a solid fl ight safety program, the chances of a serious accident are slim. However, having appropriate and adequate liability insurance is a must. Additionally, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires that commercial use drones weighing between .55 and 55 pounds are registered through a simple and inexpensive online process. There are severe civil and criminal penalties if you are caught fl ying an unregistered commercial drone. I am not trying to scare you away from drone operations but instead encouraging you to take safety, liability and regulations very seriously. Another important factor is knowing where you can legally fl y. Most large schools or parks will likely be within class B, C or D controlled airspace. The FAA provides a helpful and free app called B4UFLY. This app will use your smartphone location to tell you whether or not it is safe and legal to fl y. In order to fl y within controlled airspace, you Aerial views are invaluable to sports turf managers.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of SportsTurf - January 2018